Frequently Asked Questions
(click question to expand/collapse answer)
What is the status of the land purchase?
On March 31, 2015 Friends of CLN purchased Camp Little Notch. We own Camp Little Notch!
How much money did we raise in the All Hands on Deck campaign?
We raised a total of $468,826 from October 1, 2014 to January 9, 2015. Donations are still coming in and will be applied to future mortgage payments.
Our Donor Matching Challenge raised $80K.
Our Double your Donation Challenge raised just over $24,511.
Now that Friends of CLN owns the land, is fundraising “for the land purchase” over?
No. We paid for the land with a combination of funds raised and a $500,000 loan. The loan is to be paid back over 10 years, or sooner. We need to continue to raise money to repay the loan.
Who issued the loan?
The Community Loan Fund of the Capital Region.
What are the terms of the loan?
The Loan Fund has multiple ways of structuring their loans. We are taking a $500,000 loan, at 5% interest, amortized over 30 years, and due at the end of 10 years. Our payment obligation under this structure would be $2,684/month for ten years, with a balloon payment due in January 2025. This would result in a total payment of $32,209.32 each year for 10 years, with only $11,558.39 paid annually on the principle. This would leave us with a Balloon Payment of $406,710 at the end of the 10 years.
Loans are often structured in this fashion for young start up organizations working on building their revenue stream. It helps to keep their monthly payment low and give time to build their profit margins.
To ensure the loan is paid off within the 10-year period, the Friends of CLN board has committed to making payments on the loan as though it were structured as a 10-year loan amortized over 10 years. Our monthly payment will be $5,303 and our yearly payment will be $63,636. At the end of 10 years, there will not be a balloon payment required, and we will have paid off the loan in its entirety. Total principle paid will be $500,000 and total interest paid will be $136,393. The faster we can raise this money, the more money we save in interest payments.
What happens if we don’t make our minimum monthly payment on time?
We would be sent a notice of default and given 15-30 days to correct the non-payment default. If left uncorrected the Loan Fund would have the right to start foreclosure.
What conservation easements will Friends of CLN have to follow?
Open Space Institute “holds” the easement, meaning that they have the responsibility to ensure that it is followed, in perpetuity. The purpose of the conservation easement is to preserve the natural, scenic, historic, and aesthetic character of the property by limiting further development and prohibiting any use that would impair the conservation values and interests of the property. The conservation easement restricts the use of the property to the environmental, educational, cultural, and recreational camp programs of Friend of CLN; no commercial, industrial, residential (other than associated with camp programs) or institutional use is permitted.
How can I help with fundraising?
There are so many things you can do to support Friends of Camp Little Notch! Such as:
- Become an Annual ($25) or Lifetime Member ($500, payment plans available) of Friends of CLN.
- Adopt an Acre of Friends of CLN for a total of $5000. Various payment plans available.
- Ask your friends and family to donate directly via the Donate Now button in the left margin or mail a check if they don't want to donate online. (Please make checks payable to Friends of CLN and mail them to Friends of CLN, 110 Spring Street, Saratoga Springs, NY, 12866.)
- Host a house party fundraiser for Friends of CLN and charge admission. We can provide a slideshow PowerPoint presentation for use at the gatherings. Please review this document before planning your event.
- Host a fundraiser in partnership with a business, organization, or restaurant selling discounts, admission, or donating a percentage of sales. For example: Hoffman's Car Wash, Boscov's, Pampered Chef, PartyLite, Scentsy, Friendly's FUNraiser, 5 Guys, etc.
- Utilize GoodSearch.com, Goodshop.com, AmazonSmile, and eBay for Charity as ways to give back by choosing Friends of Camp Little Notch as your non-profit organization of choice. It's free and easy and gives a portion of money you are spending anyway!
- Follow and share all of our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest posts, pictures and videos.
How do I donate money specifically to buy the land? I don’t want it used for any other purpose.
Click the DONATE NOW button on our website, create an account (or login if you already have one), and designate that your donation is restricted to the Land Purchase Fund. You may also fill out our 2015 fundraising form (PDF document), restricting your donation to Land Purchase Fund, and mail the form in with your check. (Make checks payable to Friends of CLN and mail them to Friends of CLN, 110 Spring Street, Saratoga Springs, NY, 12866.) All donations restricted to the Land Purchase Fund cannot be used for anything but the land purchase.
Is Friends of CLN setup to receive gifts of stock?
Yes. If you or someone you know is interested in giving a gift of stock to Friends of CLN, please contact our board treasurer at email@example.com for more information.